Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Cambridge and College Pizza

Following the suggestion of my Uncles, I visited the Albert and Victoria museum for my last memory of London. This link tells about the museum's collection. http://www.vam.ac.uk/page/d/discover-the-v-and-a/ . This museum was free but was really worth paying very much for. Taking a short train trip to Cambridge, I am currently writing from my room inside Clare College, Cambridge. This private room is a nice change from the public one I shared yesterday. And the architecture here is the best I've seen in the world. Very ordered, very complicated designs, and crisp lawns are just outside my window. English gardens, one called the Scholars garden lives next to the canal that runs through the center of the Colleges. The town is larger than I thought, but the weather reminds me of perfectly of Nantucket. Checking into my room, I asked the desk if tomorrow will be sunny weather for exploring the countryside tomorrow. The desk-man replied "This is England. We can only promise you that you'll get weather."

Putting on a sweater I bought in London, the streets here are much narrower, and I get this preppy vibe from maybe the students and professors that I don't like very much like at Harvard---Hm Cambridge, MA, Cambridge UK, are compliments. But despite the elitism, I can understand why students might have a stuffy image of themselves--the grounds are georgeous--and the alumni impressive--Oliver Cromwell, Issac Newton, William Wordsworth, Charles Darwin, CS Lewis, Watson & Crick, and Team America's very own, Hans Blix! Still even with the assumtive pride, I took advantage of the college-town scene and found a cheap Pizza shop. After ordering, the assistant there asked me if I would like the whole pizza cut into six pieces or twelve. Of course without a prestigious Cambridge education I said  "Six please. I surely could never eat twelve!"

I will explore Cambridge this evening and in the morning before heading up North to Derbyshire or South-East toward the Cotswold.

                                                                 

1 comment:

  1. I remeber mom and I walking down the hallowed streets of Cambridge as well. In fact I remember the same view as your picture above. Incredible ! that was in 1985.
    I hope you saved one of those pieces of pizza for me and by the way say hello to Hans Blix for me.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete