Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hostel Hell and Tower of London

 I managed to fall asleep last night, despite being 6 hours ahead of my normal routine. I had one of the strangest dreams I remember--one of those outer-body dreams that don't seem real, however, are so disturbing that they startle you with their grotesque reality. I sensed something was pulling me away from my bed, and so I think this hostel has a pultergist--with the history and bleak morning air around me, I would not be surprised.

Shortly after this awkward experience, a group of Bulgarians came into the hostel room and turned on all the lights around 3 a.m. Adding to the strangeness, I met these Bulgarians earlier in the day when they asked me directions to some unknown place outside a coffee shop. I said I wasn't from around here, but I think they were looking for the Hostel.

The Hostel I am at is similar to a college dorm room but with more people sharing roughly the same amount of space. As a result of the tight quarters, the room is as noisy as a London bus and as compact as British jam. I stuffed my book-bag inside the top sheet of my bed and rented a locker to store all my electornic equipment. However, I was not careful. I failed to note where I took off my shoes, and I am unable to find them despite looking. I think they are somewhere buried underneath everyone elses' luggage. And I am waiting for there to be more light to spill through the windows to illuminate where they are. The Hostel surprisingly serves a Contenial breakfast in about an hour. I will eat and then take whatever step, even if bare-foot, to find them.

Today I plan to explore the Tower of London, visit the Albert and Victoria museum, visit St. Paul's Cathedral, and walk around the city, absorbing its scences and looking for surprises--a good candy shop would be nice. I just hope the store doesn't have a sign that says 'No shoes--No service.'

3 comments:

  1. Looks like your souvineer may be a new pair of British shoes! What a night. Hope you have a 'regular' room tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ave,
    An article in the newspaper today says you will be charged international rates for any emails you receive on your cell phone while in Europe. You should put your phone to airplane mode,

    Looking forward to the next update. Hope you find another internet cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ave. This is my first posted blog ever but you have inspired me to post.

    Your trip is fun to follow and your sense of humor refreshing. I hope you have found your shoes. Watch out for the Bulgarians. :)

    Dad

    ReplyDelete