Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Last Day in London

Taking in the city yesterday, I decided not to use the rail system. Walking everywhere, I figure I must have walked 12 miles--From the London Eye East to the Tower of London and then West from the Tower of London to St. Paul's Cathedral, passing the National Gallery and Bank of England, and stopping in at Harrod's at Knigthsbridge. After a very quick "I've-done-that" around Harrod's, I walked South into Chelsea, perhaps my favorite part of London, before turning back toward Westminster. As a result, I saw much of the city I would otherwise miss.

With seeing much more of London yesterday, I now can describe the city better for you today. First, London is a charming, modern city mixed with very old buildings and cathedrals. For being the center of the Industrial Revolution, the city is surprisingly clean (perhaps because I'm in the right district). The city girdles the Thames, and the roads meander around the relatively flat river banks. Consequently, there is no clear view of what is coming--like in Chicago, New York, and hilly San Francisco. Buildings block the upcoming view. So, every turn is a refreshing discovery. For instance, I would be very excited to see an old building, used as an office and inaccessible, only to take a turn and find an inviting bread-shop or monument.

One bread-shop I discovered absolutely served the best bread I have every eaten. An artisan baker shop, the place is called DeGustibus near St. Paul's Cathedral (http://www.degustibus.co.uk/). Tucked away inside a cobble-stone alley, potted flowers dangled from the wooden eaves by its front door. A very attractive stone building was next to the shop with an ornate carving of lines that resembled tree branches. This building was also surrounded by what you expect London to be like--yellow brick and clay chimney's with wooden-boxed shingles windows at the top. Of course, flower boxes were placed on them. And the contrast was quite pleasant to take-in. The inside of DeGustibus was warm. Decorated with yellow and white bricks, globe lanterns lowered into the cafeteria by wires. The cafeteria had old, uneven wooden tables and the smell of food overwhelmed everything inside, since the kitchen was in front of you, and you could watch everything being cooked. I had a delicious Pan Au Raisin--the best bread I have ever eaten.

With no mountains or large plain to serve as a drainage basin, the Thames is remarkably wide--as wide as the Snake river from home. Also, perhaps because of the soil, I am surprised about how many of the buildings are made from either white or a yellow brick. Finally, the financial district in the City of London is very modern--with weird, futuristic buildings growing up from the very old ones that surround them. Being inside this district, I saw a lot of men in business suits, running to make international deals or meet up at a local pub. After around 2 or 3 p.m. these relaxed workers spilled out into the streets with pints in their hands chatting with co-workers and enjoying London like me.

1 comment:

  1. Very well written Avery. You are a keen observer. I can smell the bread from Idaho.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete